I received some great feedback from my tutor in which he confirmed a lot of my own concerns over my submission:
- I need to forget that this site is traditionally used as a blog and keep my assignments with an academic focus, rather than being chatty.
- I need to be more selective over images and explain more fully the reasons for my choices in terms of settings used and content of the image.
- Each image is to have a reference (either name or number).
- I need to review other students’ work for ideas of how to best submit future assignments.
- I need to be more confident in copying other photographers’ styles.
- I need to do more research and evidence that in my submissions.
My tutor suggested re-taking the image below with the light on.
I’ve tried visiting the spot in early evenings, but have been unsuccessful in finding a similar ‘model’ for the shot. Below is a shot in the early evening with two shoppers walking up the stairs.
I took more care to compose this shot centrally between the steps. I also chose to be more zoomed in on the figures, though I’d like to try again with this light and a wider angle to get more of the steps in. The weather conditions weren’t great and unfortunately there’s a rain spot on the lens appearing like a halo around the girl on the right’s left knee. Nevertheless, I think that this photo is more interesting in terms of the light – if only I’d found the lad with the skateboard again!
The final set of images are therefore:
My tutor’s feedback can be read here: tutor report Stephanie Webb 514978 EYV asst 1